Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Birthdays, giants and a diagnosis

Let's get the crap stuff out of the way first. Eliott had a hearing test today and the pediatric audiologist confirmed a lot of normal hearing activity, a bit of glue ear and a rather nasty case of language delay. So it seems my fretting was not all that irrational. I am well prepared for a long road ahead. I want my little boy to be a normal, healthy kid. I don't want him to be a rocket scientist or the prime minister - if he's a dustman, I don't even want him to be the best dustman on the block. I just want him to be happy. Potentially, this hitch in his development could affect that happiness which absolutely terrifies me.

I'll be honest; when she mentioned "glue ear" I prayed that was the cause. Common, treatable, concrete diagnosis. But the doc said it wasn't affecting his hearing and he performed the tasks she set with her wonderful wooden dolls and bleeping machine beautifully. She wants to see him again in six months to do more tests and during that time she wants him to be assessed by a speech therapist. She is "really concerned" by his lack of vocabulary and immature jargonning. She acknowledged that many doctors and health visitors will share the "he'll snap out of it!" attitude held by 99.9% of the population until he is two and a half, but she feels it's important to get him in the system and start looking into the possible causes of the problem now. And so do I.

I'm aware that it could be years before we get to the bottom of this and that's if we ever do. The best we can hope for is a straightforward language delay that will eventually recitfy itself - perhaps with a little help from a speech therapist - and pray that it's not the symptom of a wider-reaching developmental problem.

I have never before felt such overwhelming responsibility. I'm really a parent and it's my job to get El through this. I'm shitting it.

Eliott is such a big boy now that he will probably ride the waves on his own terms. And when I say big, I mean big. His two year check confirmed that his height has now crept into the 98th centile (non-parents don't panic - he's not become a Scientologist or anything, it's a scale parents use to make other parents feel bad about their children's weight and stature). I knew there was something afoot when he qualified for the Chessington World of Adventures log flume (call me irresponsible, I don't care). If he carries on at this rate he will be 6ft2 when he is 18. I'm 5ft5 (on a good day). Help me.

His birthday was wonderful. We bowled, we soft-played, we rejoiced at a talking Superman, we grimaced as he refused to eat his Natural Cafe pizza but stuffed his face full of chips at Streatham's Megabowl. He screamed at his candles (he thought we were trying to use the cake to set him alight) and delighted in ripping open his presents. It was two-tastic.

To celebrate, we thought we'd treat you to some lesser-spotted photos of our jolly in Ibiza. Oh, the memories...







Adios.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

He's beautiful, Jo!! It's been so long since I've seen any pics of him and he looks so grown up. Very handsome boy.

Glowstars said...

Nic's right.
It's good to know that someone in the health system is recognising the problem you've seen - here's to getting everything sorted!

heidi said...

that kid is TOO cute. sorry about the crap stuff but glad you're getting some progress and support. happy birthday to the little man. and the candles thing, i'm still laughing...

Anonymous said...

Hey Jo,

My nephew is 2 1/2 now, and he's only just started to speak little sentences, most of it still is kiddy babble. Dont panic over your little man, im sure he will be speaking very very soon.

and he is bloody damn gorgeous!!
plus you look good in the pic aswell!!

take care

Tooting bird said...

GORGEOUS LAD. Happy Birthday and welcome home! Hope you find a way through the speech therapy. Rooting for you here in Suisse x

Fashion Detective said...

Thanks all. I'll keep you up-to-date with our progress!

Anonymous said...

Fab Pics, JoJo.
And E will be a very happy child, your every word about him shows how much you love him, and I'm positive this will rub off on him to be a very happy child.
xx

Minks said...

xx

Anonymous said...

wonderous

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Eliott.
Not sure if it's any consolation but Jack uses singular words to communicate, sentences, understands them but doesn't use them himself. He can't say 's', 'f' or a few other consonants if they start a word off. Just like his Uncle was really, ergo, not being bothered......yet.

Anonymous said...

Don't shit it Jo - he's a beautiful little boy surrounded by love - what else could he ask for? He'll be more than happy. Easy to say from a distance I know. Take care, Linda

Anonymous said...

Hello, mega-quick catch up time - hope you had a lovely holiday. E is such a cutie, hope you get to the bottom of it all quickly xx

someday said...

I've got glue ear and have found the following treatment very effective although it is not a cure as such.

Glue ear treatment link