Monday, March 20, 2006

It's fun when I don't post much...

...because when I do, I actually have some vaguely interesting things to talk about.

Work-wise I'm on a roll. Had my fourth pitch in a row commissioned by a new magazine I've been working for and must say I am loving writing for them. I think I've hit my absolute niche with investigative pieces for 20/30-something ladies. I finished the celeb-related feature and even my stepdad (hi D!) who couldn't give a flying fling-flang about celebrities said he enjoyed it.

Right, I've blown my own horn enough. Now I'll blow Matt's (fnar).

The band put their demo online and it's causing something of a stir. As Craig David would say "check it out": http://lolajones.3wdl.co.uk

This has caused various conversations about "what we'll do if Matt gets offered a UK tour". Call us premature. Go on, I dare you.

Just in case Matt is destined to become a rock God (but let's face it, he'll probably forget to turn up to the stadium or get lost on the way) we've been attempting to spend more time together. We've been to a pink pub with a mad opera singer who jumps on your table and an impromptu family party that provided Eliott with his latest night ever thanks to the car breaking down and the wonders of "baby-foot" (or is it babby-foot?).

We've also decided to go on holiday. This is causing all manner of headaches because, if I was anal before I had a toddler to figure into the holiday-equation, I'm now uber-anal. Everytime I find a decent looking break I am compelled to research it to within an inch of its life and the reviews I find put me right off. Said reviews, however, are providing me with a top laugh. You can hear the voice of Caroline Aherne ("what did I say, Roy?") in every one.

Some highlights for your delectation:

"As for the food it was always cold - all the meat cooked you could have glued to your shoes as rubber soles"

"The entertainment was lame and only mostly for the Germans."

"Complaints that there are too many Germans is unfounded."

"The nightshift receptionist wielded a golf club as he made his rounds at night. "

"There did not seem to be enough cutlery or crockery, many, including ourselves had to drink tea out of cereal bowls!!!"

"The only thing I could eat was the ice cream, my friend on one occasion was nearly sick at the dinner table after trying what they call chicken curry."

"We took a limited amount of spending money with us and it was only by pure luck of winning the bingo (156 Euros) that we could afford to eat!!!"

And that's just for one hotel.

It's enough to put you off ever leaving Tooting.

5 comments:

Kerry said...

Wow Jojo you sound like you have been busy. Matt's demo is good infact my 4 1/2 yr old son just commented "i like that music mummy" and is currently dancing away so you can tell him he has his first fan.

As for holidays I know what you mean...... and nothing more needs to be said about that.

Anonymous said...

JoJo! Hey, great news on the magazine front! You're doing really well, its very nice to hear :)

Loving the hubby's demo too, very good!

Hope you can sort out a nice holiday soon!

Pete
xx

Anonymous said...

Johanna, I've been trying to contact you but when I send you mail it keeps coming back with an error reading. Is there a reason that my mail isn't going through?
Please contact me when you get a chance.

thanks, "cindy".

Fashion Detective said...

Cindy - I've emailed you. If you don't receive it or can't reply try contacting me at jo.payton@gmail.com.
Thanks.

Anonymous said...

That music stuff, s'good innit.