Sunday, April 30, 2006

Only time will tell

I promised myself that I wouldn't take on any new work before we go on holiday next Sunday. Typically, I'm facing three new deadlines this week and the cleaners can't come on Saturday so I will have to do all the pre-holiday ironing and scouring of the house myself (or who knows what our relatives will think if the plane crashes and they have to organise a dirty flat).

Talking of plane doom, I've got a little bit more chilled out about the flight. And it's a bloody good job because the doctor's prescription Diazepam got a trial run on Friday night and did nothing. Clearly I need something more drastic to take me down. I've made several enquiries and am hoping an old friend can save the day (she has "contacts", don't you know). Failing that I'll be forced to neck all eight remaining Diazepam with a litre of vodka. If that plane goes down, I don't want to know anything about it. Matt will be pleased.

Eliott has been in fine fettle over the last few days. We've been to Chessington where he braved the log flume (there's a lot to be said for being over 0.9metres at 23 months of age). We've also commenced "Daddy Day" which takes place every Wednesday and is an attempt to ease the pressures on yours truly. I took full advantage and by 10am last Wednesday I was showered, dressed and delaying switching the computer on so I could watch the end of "Playing It Straight USA". Old habits die hard.

Eliott's been chattering for England too. Unfortunately, little that he says makes sense and there are still only a handful of recognisable words in there, none of which are fully formed (unless you count "no"). I'm trying not to worry and take it as it comes. It's a year now since the majority of Eliott's buddies started talking. Will he catch up? I have no idea. I hope so. There's no physical reason for him not to that we know about to date (he is booked in for a hearing test next month). He seems to understand everything I say but I have no idea whether he's at the same developmental point as his peers or if the problem is more deep seated. Sure, he can take a nappy bag to the bin and blow kisses on demand; he can do every action under the sun and is obsessed with Superman to the point that he runs around the playground (in full Superman costume) pretending to be him. But in the absence of chatter I'm struggling to teach him. I'm still going over basic words because I can't be sure he understands them. I keep reminding myself that he probably understands just as much as other children, but without the security of speech, I don't know how to move on and to stop treating him like a baby.

It also gets harder and harder to talk to other mums about the kids' development as they tell stories of sentences and songs and excitedly ask me to "guess what new word I've taught him/her to say???" They can't help being proud of their young 'uns and I should stop being so sensitive, but it's something me and Eliott are totally excluded from for now, and I have to sit quietly and patiently until we get on to more important matters like whose kid has crapped on the carpet this week?

Talking of toilet-matters, Eliott did a wee on his potty. It was a pure fluke, but a proud moment. Matt is in charge of potty training. I would rather wait until I'm sure he's ready ("mummy I need toilet" springs to mind) but I keep my mouth shut and let the lads get on with it.

There is still no movement here on a second child and the way I'm feeling there never will be. I just did an interview with a mum who told me the transition from one to two children completely did her in and she had to give up work completely. I don't want to give up work. Or to be so stressed I can't appreciate what I've got. Or to have logistical problems getting two bairns to Chessington on the train (let's face it, I will never learn to drive). Call me selfish (I am) but the thought of disturbing our happy set up with the return of sleepless nights and wall-to-wall screaming makes me feel more than a bit queasy. HUGE respect to the mums who have done it. I increasingly think it's just not for me.

Like so many other things, only time will tell.

8 comments:

Tooting bird said...

JJ, the GHSE was mute (almost) until about a month ago when she woke up one morning and just decided to say things. Hang in there, sweets, it might be the same thing going on with EJ.

Minks said...

I no platitudes to offer. I can give you a squeeze when you get fed up xxx

Minks said...

I also need to learn to speak (looks up)

Fashion Detective said...

Thanks girls. It'll all come out in the wash, as they say.

Glowstars said...

Eliott may not be doing the talking lark but I'll bet when you look beyond that he's getting further in other areas than his peers - fluke or no fluke, I still can't get Tommy to even contemplate using a potty, let alone pee in one so one up to El for starting to lose his nappies quicker. As little consolation as it seems now, it'll all even out in the end.

Anonymous said...

I sooooo know how you feel. Jake's not talking. Not even trying. His doctor has suggested having his hearing checked too. (We're still awaiting the referral.)
Like Eliott, Jake understands me and seems to hear just fine. The doctor suggested though that he may be having trouble with his "fine" hearing, meaning the detail. We'll see. I'm convinced that he can hear just fine.
I relate to your frustration and the feeling of being left out.

Anonymous said...

You're a good 'un JoJo, he'll be talking, always in there own time with boys. Sounds like he's a regular star.

Hope you have a really great holiday!

xx

Anonymous said...

Jeddy still can't talk either. Well, apart from saying NO! but he does seem to know an awful lot.
Try not to worry too much and you don't have to justify not wanting to jump straight back in and having another baby.